I had the absolute pleasure of choosing a brilliant non-fiction flash to publish this week at The Forge Literary Magazine. Balk by Brian Broome manages to be poignant, achy, sad and funny. It’s a snapshot of him as a young, gay, black American boy and it fucking rocks. As does his Smash Lits interview. Thanks, Brian!
1) What is your favourite cheese?
2) What was your favourite book as a child?
“The Pigman” by Paul Zindel.
3) Who is/was your unlikely crush?
4) Who would play you in the film of your flash?
Caleb McGlaughlin from “Stranger Things”.
(Aww – I can see that!)
5) Bacon VS Tofu – who wins? Why?
Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, Bacon. Why? Because bacon and I read that tofu gives men boobs. I don’t care if that’s true or not and I guess enough bacon could give me boobs. But, if I’m gonna have boobs, they’re gonna be bacon boobs.
6) Creative nonfiction or fiction? Why?
Creative nonfiction to write. Fiction to read.
7) Your writing is music, what style is it?
Any of the unfinished symphonies or K-POP.
8) Have you ever had a nickname? What?
Never ever tell. Ok, my Dad called me Big Boo.
9) Do you believe human beings can spontaneously combust
Yes. I’ve seen it.
10) How much money did you spend yesterday?
I spent 52 dollars at the Dollar Store.
11) What’s your most vivid childhood memory?
I think you may have just read it.
12) Do you bite your nails?
Yes. But, only for grooming purposes, not out of nervousness.
13) What’s your favourite sweet (candy)?
OREOS!! ALL THE 500 FLAVORS.
14) What is your motto for life?
Construct. Delude. Believe.
15) What did you do last Saturday night?
I worked. I wait tables and Saturday is a big night.
16) You hold a dinner party and can only invite writers. Who do you
Jackie Collins and Frantz Fanon. THAT would be interesting.
17) Do you have any writing rituals?
Procrastinate until the last minute.
18) What’s your favourite ball?
Any of the balls featured in “Paris is Burning”.
19) What’s your favourite swear?
20) What question should I have asked you?
“Do you enjoy your life?”
Answer: “I guess so.”