We published a powerful piece of creative non-fiction at the Forge last week – The Boots by Kelly Griffiths – which I urge you all to read. Kelly kindly agreed to take part in one of my daft interviews.
1. What was the last text you sent?
“Thank you, Gabe. You saved the day.” (My 13-year-old turned off the water to our leaking refrigerator while we were on a weekend away.)
2. You are wallpaper. What is your pattern?
If Jackson Pollock made wallpaper…
3. Who would play you in the film of your piece?
That’s easy. My piece is cnf. I’m the angry one.
4. Bacon VS Tofu – who wins? Why?
Bacon, even though I’m not generally a fan of pig. Come up with a salty, crunchy, grease saturated tofu, and I’ll change my answer.
5. Have you ever been attacked by an animal?
A poodle. I still have the scar. But in fairness, I provoked it.
6. What is the oldest piece of clothing in your wardrobe?
Everything. I’m a thrift store hunter, so it’s impossible to tell.
7. Have you ever seen a ghost?
No, but I think one steals our socks.
8. If you could make people read one book what would it be?
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
9. What is your favourite thing to write with?
10. Do you have a recurring dream?
Only the one in which I am on the New York Times Best Seller list.
11. What did you do last Saturday night?
My husband and I walked our dog, then watched a movie with our day-saving son (see #1).
12. What sandwiches would you make for a picnic with Zadie Smith?
Garlic-goat cheese, roasted red peppers, and balsamic dressing on Italian bread.
13. What word makes you cringe?
14. What’s your favourite swear?
15. What is your favourite biscuit?
Do you mean cookie? Because my favorite cookie is chocolate.
16. What is your favourite TV programme?
I don’t watch TV, but I love movies. The Impossible (2012)
17. Your writing is music, what style is it?
On my best day: symphonic metal.
18. What colour is loneliness?
19. Who is your writer crush?
20. What question should I have asked you?
You should have asked what I’m doing this Friday. It’s far more interesting. And macabre. Between my acceptance at The Forge and my receipt of this fabulous and quirky list of questions (which I loved!), I received word I have a growing brain tumor. By the time this is published I will have had my skull cut open. I pray for a good outcome and look forward to reading this on the other side.
I am so glad to be able to write here that Kelly is recovering well.